Saturday, March 20, 2010

I forgot to mention….

On our second night in Ecuador our hostel got robbed at gunpoint. We were in Quito and all the NRC people were staying at one hostel. And I didn’t really forget to mention this, I just thought I’d let some time go by before telling the story, for those of you prone to worrying. We were all in the dining room waiting for dinner and a couple men showed up at the lobby with guns to get the money from the register. There were only two people who worked there in the lobby and the dining room is separate so we didn’t know anything was going on. Except that one guy from our group went to make a phone call and walked in on the whole thing. The guys took his wallet and made him get on the ground with the employees and then they took the money and left. No one got hurt. Later when the PC security people came we found out that they had gone to several hostels in the area.

But the main thing that struck me about the whole incident was how calm everyone was. Especially the guy who walked in on it. No one seemed very upset or shaken up, which I think would have been reasonable for having just gotten into the country. We just went along and ate dinner a few hours late when things settled down. I was really proud of everyone. We’re a hardcore group.

No comments:

Post a Comment