Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hot springs

From a while back- Today a bunch of us went to some hot springs way up in the mountains. We all met up in Jamie’s town and his host parents and another guy drove us up in two trucks. Well first of all, on our way up to Jamie’s our bus broke down so we got out and started walking and then Jamie’s parents came and picked the 4 of us up. On the way to the hot springs I rode inside one of the trucks and it was a scenic ride, we went way up into paramo level above the tree line. And we were driving on these winding dirt roads on the side of the mountain. So when we got to the end of the road we got out and hiked down a bit to where the hot spring was. It was hot water coming out of the ground through some rocks and down into a partially manmade pool, big enough for all of us to sit in about half of it. We had brought beer so we sat in the pool for about an hour and a half and drank beer and talked. It was an amazing time. The spring was kind of in a crevice in the mountain so there were rocks and trees behind us and then it looked out onto more mountains. On the way back I rode standing in the back of the truck, which was a little like a roller coaster. The snow-capped mountain had come out from behind the clouds and we had a fantastic view- it was much closer than we’d been before. When we got back into town we went down to the soccer field to watch the game and have a picnic of the food we brought, which for my group was bread, peanut butter, bananas, and animal crackers mmm. Then we came back to our town and I went home to shower and wash my clothes. The mountain stayed clear of the clouds all day and at sunset the light hit the snow and it was glowing. Naim called me to see if I was outside to see it, but I had already been telling Carmita to look at how pretty the mountain was since we were in the backyard hanging my underwear on the fence to dry.


Cayambe from my backyard


Carmita

No comments:

Post a Comment