Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Me entiendes?

Some people are easier for me to understand than others, which depends on accent, talking speed, word choice, and conscientiousness of talking to a nonnative speaker. Aka, in my case, someone who doesn’t actually know Spanish. I was talking to a man the other day who was careful to make sure I was following the conversation, which I was for the most part, and frequently ended sentences with “me entiendes?” “Do you understand me?” This man may have been a little bit drunk, or maybe it’s just the way he talks, but throughout our conversation he kept repeating the same ideas to me over and over. This was probably a little annoying to the other people at the table but for me it was great- each time he said the same thing I understood a little more clearly the words he was using. When he started into the same thought for the third or fourth time I didn’t think, “Oh come on you already said that. Move on!” I thought, “Ooh I know this part! This is where he talks about the difference between relationships in Ecuador and the US.” I felt a little like a kid watching Teletubbies, when they show a clip and then say again! again! and show the same clip a second time. And yes I would compare my language skills to those of a toddler, thanks for asking.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are living in a small town on the coast of Ecuador writing a blog. Awesome and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete