Thursday, May 6, 2010

Semana santa and a full moon

After my site visit I was back in Cayambe for a week living with my host family. We had 3 days of class and then a few free days. It was the last week we had living with those families and also the last week of the 6 of us living in one community. There was a full moon and it was clear out all week so we hung out on the roof of Regan’s house for a few nights. One night I was the first person on the roof and there was a fantastic view of the snowcap on Mt Cayambe and as I was sitting there the moon rose from behind the mountains. Another night the 6 of us were coming back from Cayambe and we’d missed the last bus so at Aaron’s suggestion we took a bus to a nearby town and hiked for half an hour or so over the ridge to our town. Coming over the hill we had another gorgeous view of the mountain and the moon. There’s nothing like a hike with 5 friends in the dark complete with attack dogs, steep hills, and a river crossing. Later in the week I went on a hike to some waterfalls with Jess and her host brother and sisters. They let me ride their horse on the way up. The first waterfall was an easy walk into the woods and then the real hiking began. We climbed and scrambled through the woods and water to 3 or 4 more waterfalls. This was when I was starting to get really sick with the cold and cough I’ve had for about 4 week now- fun. But it was a good time and the waterfalls were beautiful and well worth the hike.





I also spent a lot of time with my family. It was the semana santa and the first Sunday I went with them to Palm Sunday mass. Everyone gathered at the end of my road with their palms and the padre came and blessed them with water. Then he got on a horse and we proceeded up to the church. Going to mass was a good experience but complicated a little by the fact that I don’t know what to do with myself at Catholic mass even if it was in English. On Thursday I helped my family prepare the finesca, which is a traditional soup made with 12 grains. Easter Sunday was my last day with my family and everyone sat down to dinner together, which isn’t common, and my sister made a little speech about how it was a special dinner because it was my last night and wishing me well at my site. It was very sweet and they are a wonderful family and I already miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment